Monday, October 5, 2009

And I'm still not finished

Here are some images of the facelift of my home office. Fortunately, I don't have a "before" picture, because I would have sunk through the floor with embarrassment.

First I packed up everything in the office and staged it in the living room.

When the bookcases were empty, I cleaned them and staged them in the carport so that Fernando from Mountain School could come get them in his truck. Bookcases are a hot commodity in the public schools, and Fernando told me later that they disappeared immediately from his truck and then reappeared in the classrooms.

Here is the almost-empty room. The walls were off-white, and the ceiling was sort of beige.


I chose Valspar's "Ice Storm" for the ceiling and walls and "Capri Coast" for the accent walls. (I fixed the "holidays," so there's complete coverage.)

I think this is a more accurate representation of the colors.

I chose rustic Mexican iron for the closets and cupboards.

Here are two full bookcases. I put the inscribed books from various signings up on the top because I probably won't read them any time soon. Harry Potter is up there, too, because he takes up a lot of room, and I don't reread those frequently.


Years ago I picked up a cute iron bird in Madrid. It's made of pieces of farm implements. The rustic Mexican lamp has a "piña" design. The little cupboard is made from salvaged teak from the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Ocean.

Here is my bespoke rustic desk.

I also have kinetic sculpture in the room.

5 comments:

Shoe said...

Beautiful! Congratulations.

A lot of hard work, but it looks great!


Word verif: menteltz: how p-doobie felt many an evening after working so hard on the office.

Chuckbert said...

Pretty blue. I was with you when you got the bird in Madrid.

I'm glad your old book cases got nice new homes.

RetroMag said...

Very nice! I'm anxious to see the finished product.

Marion Agnew said...

Wow! Your office went from a lot of "Yeah, sorta off-whatever" to "Hey, some serious creative bidness happens here."

Beauty surrounds you. Good for you.

word verification: jarnerre, the one item of furniture the office still lacks.

BobbieS53 said...

It looks so cozy and warm now.