Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Cormac McCarthy's typewriter

Cormac McCarthy is my favorite modern author. One of the happiest days of my life was August 26, 2005, when Michele and I saw him in the Border's bookstore in Santa Fe, and I approached him and introduced myself to him. We talked for about 10 minutes.

I've read all his books, and I think Blood Meridian and Suttree are masterpieces. The first three pages of Suttree are absolutely breathtaking. What would be cooler than owning his typewriter?

Christie's is auctioning his typewriter on Friday, and I've placed an absentee bid. I won't win it, of course, but it's fun to dream.


Cormac McCarthy is god.

12 comments:

Chuckbert said...

Good luck! If you get it you can write the next great book.

MrBears said...

I'm on my 4th typewriter at work. One IBM Selectric and 3 Brother Typewriters.

Good Luck @ Auction!

RetroMag said...

I guess I should get re-acquainted with Cormac McCarthy. I read only All The Pretty Horses. I'll request another of his books soon.

Good luck in your bid for his typewriter!

Shoe said...

What fun! Good luck! I will read a Cormac McCarthy book next.

Shoe said...

And it begs the question...what the h-e-double-chopsticks were you doing in Borders???

P-Doobie said...

Izzy, we were in Border's before we bought Otowi Station Bookstore. We were killing time before Michele had to go to a meeting. We didn't buy anything.

Mike Westfall said...

He used the same typewriter for more than 50 years? Wow, that must be one durable Olivetti!

BobbieS53 said...

A huge piece of history! YAY! I will have to read a book of his,too.

Chuckbert said...

Holy moly, either:
* I'm sorry you were outbid
* You are a very dedicated and rich independent bookseller!

A quarter million! Zoundss

P-Doobie said...

That's $254,500 as the price realized. Christie's estimated that the typewriter would go for $10,000 to $20,000.

Needless to say, I didn't win.

Shoe said...

I'm sorry you didn't win. Maybe a museum won it and you can go visit it someday.

And the Santa Fe Institute got a nice windfall!

word verif: shtwa

When Izzy saw the final winning bid, all she could utter was "Shtwa....?!"

RetroMag said...

I'm so sorry you were outbid! Who do you suppose got it? Maybe the Olivetti company?