Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Victory Bar

Yesterday I took a leisurely drive over to Las Vegas, New Mexico, on the old highway. I stopped at the little village of San Jose to look at the Plaza, then drove to the end of the road to look at the frozen Pecos River. Some calves thought I was going to feed them and ambled over to the fence to look pitiful and bawl.

I can haz kow treetz?

Las Vegas was pretty quiet. I drove around the neighborhoods where we used to live--911 Third Street, the houses on 8th Street, Melody Hall, Archuleta Hall--and I enjoyed a bus man's holiday at Tome on the Range, then walked up to the antique store on the Plaza to poke around a bit. A lunch of carne adovada, papitas, frijolitos pintos, and a tortilla at Estella's Cafe on Bridge Street made the day complete.

On the way back I stopped in Rowe and took some pictures of the Victory Bar.

"It's LUCKY when you live in America."

Late afternoon shadows on the door.

Peg's images of old door frames and door knobs. Collect 'em all!

4 comments:

Poss said...

looks like a nice little road trip. Vegas and the surrounding areas are scenic, if nothing else

RetroMag said...

You take such interesting photos. I love your door pictures!

Shoe said...

Pretty shots! Thanks for sharing!

Marion Agnew said...

I love your door pictures too! Funny how the anticipation of possibility, of "what's behind that door?" doesn't wane even when the rest of the photo is more about the past than present or future.