Monday, May 19, 2008

Русские идут! Русские идут!

Yesterday we had a busload of Russian tourists in the store. I asked one gentleman if he needed some help or would like a suggestion. "I want gift for son in Moscow. Must be interesting," he said. I showed him the T-shirts. "Mmmmph!" he said.

"How about a baseball cap?" I asked. "Mmmmph!" he said.

"A shirt with the logo of Los Alamos National Laboratory?"

"How much is?"

"It's $28.98."

"Mmmmph!"

Souvenir stuff was obviously out of the question. So we went over to the books on atomic history. "The book Los Alamos: the Beginning of an Era is very interesting. It has a lot of pictures, and it will pack easily in your suitcase."

"How much is?"

"It's $10.00."

"For little book! With easy pictures! Why so many dollars?"

"Well, you're paying for the knowledge in the book."

"Mmmmmmph!" He sighed heavily. "Well, I take." He went up to the counter, where Michele was waiting on the customers. "Too many dollars for little book with easy pictures!" he said.

"You're paying for the knowledge in the book," Michele explained.

"Mmmmmph! You give change for hundred dollars?" Michele broke the bill for him. He paid with a credit card.



Russian visitor: "Mmmmmph!"

3 comments:

MrBears said...

Stupid Americans make change for counterfit $100. and take credit card that will only pay them in Rubles. I get postcard book and tell son cost $100 American dollars. I win!

P-Doobie said...

You certainly winner, Comrade Bearovich.

Chuckbert said...

Russians go! Russians go! (whatever that means...a cheer? or an order?)

In one of my trips to England I went to Canterbury on a train. There was a group of loud Americans. I tried to look British. There are unpleasant tourists from everywhere.