Thursday, July 10, 2008

You gotta have art! All you really need is art!

Chuckbert, JerBear, Michele, and I were talking yesterday evening about the cool pieces that the guys had acquired during their visit, and the talk turned to whether I had acquired any new photographs. The most recent one is by Jack Spencer, "Yellowstone River, Montana, 2005," which we haven't hung because we need to reshuffle the wall space. I also have his "Sheldon Church Ruins, Sheldon, SC, 1998." I like the painterly feel and narrative sense of Spencer's images.

Yellowstone River, Montana


Sheldon Church Ruins, Sheldon, SC

I've been reading Larry McMurtry's memoir Books, and his reflections on collections. He collects travel writing written by women; the rest of his library, he says, is an accumulation. I have a collection of images of women by female photographers. The rest of the pieces are an accumulation. I love every photograph in my collection and accumulation.

2 comments:

MrBears said...

They're beautiful pagrs. I hope you get them on the wall soon so you can enjoy!

Chuckbert said...

Hang those pictures, Pagrs. They're too nice to leave in storage.