Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Home, in one form or another, is the great object of life."—Josiah Gilbert Holland

I went over to Mom's this afternoon to see the progress on the siding project. Five workers were scrambling up ladders, attaching insulation, removing plywood, cutting, measuring, and swarming over the house. The insulation was almost installed when I left.

They seem to be a very nice crew, and Mom brought sodas, cookies, and snax for them so they could sustain the slender thread of life as they work. They laugh a lot.

The work is noisy. One guy was using a grinder, and of course there's a lot of pounding and thumping.

Here comes Mom. The house number, the Eutsler sign, and the Monitor tube are on the front of the house.


East side of the house. Who hosed down our childhood home with Pepto-Bismol?


Dining room work.


Dining room work from up the hill.


West side of the house.


The 3/4-inch insulation goes on right over the shingles.

When I left, the guys were tearing out the plywood walls on the front porch.

4 comments:

Chuckbert said...

Thanks for the pix! I didn't want to wait for Mom to have her roll of film developed. That could have been years.

I'm glad it finally got started.

MrBears said...

Thanks for the pictures. I'm glad you were able to get there for the insulation. I was wondering how they were going to do that. The siding we saw at The Home Depot had the insulation preinstalled in the siding.

I'm so glad they finally started. I hope they don't take too long to finish.

Thanks again

RetroMag said...

Thanks, p-doobie, for coming over and taking the pictures and posting them. After you left, they installed a little of the siding. It's always hard to visualize what the actual color will be when looking at the little samples they show you when making up your mind. So the color isn't exactly what I visualized. It's pretty light, sort of creamy instead of the tan I visualized. I guess I was so tired of the dark brown house that I got carried away with the light colors to choose from. I hope it turns out O.K.

Shoe said...

Lookin' good! Hope the rest goes smoothly!