Tuesday, August 12, 2008

If two trains traveling 40 mph leave their respective stations at 10:00 a.m., how many rods are in a rood?

Today's topic is practical math. Things are not going well.

I recently went to the service station in my neighborhood to buy some sodas. For many months they've displayed a sign advertising three Coke products for $3.00. So I went to the counter with three Coke products, and the nice young woman said, "That'll be $4.17." I said, "No, they're three for $3.00." She replied, "No, the price is now four for $5.00. But the price is still the same; you just get more bottles."

A young man in his late teens or early twenties and seemingly of normal intelligence regularly comes into the store for the Magic and Pirates of the Spanish Main gaming cards. The cards are all $4.49 a pack. And he always says, "I have $20.00. How many packs can I buy?" Michele has tried to walk him through the estimating process but to no avail. The next time he asks her, she said, she'll be tempted to answer, "Two."

Today I got the following exciting news from the Netherlands Lottery. "The Lottary gaming board (LOTTO.NL) is pleased to inform you of the result of the online award program.Your E-mail address attached to serial number NL90-4264, Lucky Number:24,2,6,35,45 and online number #1453128, was awarded the sum of 700,000.00 euros. This is from a total cash prize of €3,500,000.00 shared amongst the first Twelve (5) lucky winners in this category."

I was walking several years ago in Bandelier National Monument and came upon two women of a particular regional persuasion (you know the one: Texas). They were discussing cameras and "fim."

"I got this fim in Germany. The strange thing is it has 27 exposures instead of 24."

"Hmmm. Must be metric."


3 comments:

Poss said...

Are you going to divide the Euros with your sibs? How many sibs to a Euro?

Jimbo said...

Naw, the camera guy got film from the original English system. Had it been metric, he would have gotten 28.74 exposures....

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a hogshead to quaff.

Marion Agnew said...

It's okay--they're all wearing gloves.