Friday, August 15, 2008

Playing with the telephoto lens

I got a Quantaray telephoto lens for my Nikon D40, and today Ike and I took a drive to San Jose, New Mexico, which I've passed any number of times on the way to and from Las Vegas, but I never stopped there until today.

View Larger Map

I tried out the lens, and I had some trouble with focus (I'm not sure whether I should wear my reading glasses as I look through the viewfinder), but I think with practice I'll get better.


Lots of houses in northern New Mexico have blue windows, which either keep evil spirits away or indicate the presence of marriageable young women.


Here is the Pecos River.

These are the nests of cliff swallows that the birds built in the underpass under I-25. They look to me like some kind of little animals singing.

2 comments:

RetroMag said...

Very interesting photos! I love the swallows' nests, and the old house with the blue windows is nice. Well, all of them are. How far away from the subjects were you with your new lens?

BobbieS53 said...

Cool pix...and here I thought you were going to stay home and read! Very nice.