Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona

We visited the Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona. It was designed by one of Frank Lloyd Wright's students and built on the red sandstone that immediately identifies the area. I think the website for the chapel is cool because it focuses more on all the worldly gifts you can buy than on any spiritual gifts you might get.

Our friend James was in his camp counselor mode, so he urged me to walk with him down the road to take a picture of the chapel from below. I am always ready to oblige for a photo op.


Then we drove up to the parking lot. The walk up to the chapel was lined with cacti and other desert wildflowers.





We were told that a guy who developed LASIK surgery lives in the mansion below the chapel. I remembered traveling with our friends from Leeds to a stately home in Yorkshire, and Veda, our hostess, said of the home, "It cost a few quid, and I wouldn't mind living there. I can see myself with all those servants. I can hear them now: 'Veda! 'Elp me wit' t' weeds!'"


'E 'as a gardner to 'elp 'im wit' t' weeds.

3 comments:

RetroMag said...

Again, nice pictures. I love cactus blossoms. And what is the last flower picture of? (Nice sentence structure!)

Quite a mansion that is! I'm glad I don't have to live in it--I'd get so lost I'd never find my way out.

Poss said...

But, could you get a glow in the dark rosary at the chapel?
Nice shots. I could use a servant or two.

word ver: oppresu

P-Doobie said...

RetroMag, the last flower picture is a closeup of the yucca blossoms.