Friday, June 11, 2010

Lizard smackdown!

In the Crystal Forest we saw a collared lizard basking on a piece of petrified wood. He was doing his push-ups to show us he wasn't to be trifled with. Click on an image to enlarge it.



When we went to the Rainbow Forest, we saw two male collared lizards grappling, apparently for territory. The lizard in the background has clamped his jaws on the other lizard.



They tumble over in the rocks.

The dominant lizard pursues his rival.



Finally both raced away on their hind legs. They can really cover a lot of territory.

4 comments:

Chuckbert said...

I miss the battles between the alligator lizards we used to see. I love lizards. Thanks!

RetroMag said...

Boy howdy! I sure wouldn't want that lizard mad at ME!

And the petrified trees in your pictures were quite beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Poss said...

nice action

Jimbo said...

That's awesome. I never imagined how a lizard would look if it were angry, but those two photos show it! It occurs to that I've seen small children cultivate the angry lizard gestalt. It just hadn't dawned on me until now.