Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ina—and a new loonie!

Ina came in recently to announce that due to popular demand she is working on a sequel to her most popular novel. This time, she said, she's going to include epigraphs for each chapter not only from her favorite author but also from contemporary authors. But there's a problem. She doesn't know whether she has to get permission from the authors to include quotations from their books in her book. "Will you research copyright law for me and let me know what I can and can't quote?" she asked. I said, "No."

She is also shopping around for a producer for a film version of her most popular novel and has posted fliers with those little tabs with her phone number on them. I don't think that most film producers go looking in the local bank for ideas, but you never know.

*****

Pierce, a new loonie, is a playwright I've mentioned before and a major pinch-penny. He called to ask whether there were any books of humor, jokes, or anecdotes about things nuclear or atomic. I scrounged around and told him that most of what I found was political cartoons and The Far Side, but there didn't seem to be any specific book devoted specifically to atomic yocks. (I half-expected him to say, "Will you write one for me?") I suggested that he go online and do a Google search. He said that he already done that and got hundred of thousands of results, but he didn't want to sift through them, nor did he want to browse through books in search of atomic prosechuckles. And, he said, he certainly doesn't want to pay anyone do it for him. It appears that his project may die aborning.

6 comments:

RetroMag said...

When you write your bookseller's book, will you have to get permission from the people you write about before you can use their questions and comments? Is there a quoteright law you should research?

Shoe said...

If I bring in a papyrus plant, a pheasant and some ink, will you please make some paper and a quill to use to write my book while I dictate to you -- but feel free to correct my grammar and choose the best words as we go. That won't be a problem, will it?



Word verification: hyped (really, hyped!)

P-Doobie said...

Shoe, your wish is my command. RetroMag, you'll probably have to visit me in jail.

Word verif--zympoing: the sound my head makes when Ina comes to the store

Marion Agnew said...

I had such high hopes I was your new loonie. However, I take comfort in knowing I am your old loonie.

Word verification: sionedig, an Irish dance step that ends badly.

BobbieS53 said...

Why.Won't.You.Do.This.For MEEEE!?!?

Word verif: scura - Ina is the scura of LA.

Heidi Utz said...

Perhaps you can suggest to Pierce that his book should be part of a series, along with The Big Book of Guantanamo Bay Humor, The (perhaps smaller) Book of Hitler Games and Rhymes, and The Stand-up Comedian's Complete Book of Darfur Routines.