Tuesday, March 18, 2008

He's not psychotic; he's practicing for retirement

In a recent post on newspaper comic strips, ChuckBert made me think of my own favorite comics. Garfield isn't one of them.


Jon has the IQ of a toaster; Odie is a one-trick doggie with his drooling; and Garfield (known as Gustav in Sweden; he isn't funny there either) is a gross blight upon the gloss of all things feline. And yet I read it every day and became peevish and fretful because the strip was still in print after all these years.


But then I found Garfield Minus Garfield, a blog devoted to removing Garfield and his thought balloons from the strip to create "an even better comic about schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and the empty desperation of modern life." Now, instead of reading Garfield and getting cranky, I look forward to mentally removing Garfield from the strip. It's like watching a play by Harold Pinter now.

3 comments:

Shoe said...

Now that is an awesome Comic!

Poss said...

Here is where we totally agree. I do not find myself even moving my eyes towards Garfield. We have several garfield plush toys. I do not allow them in my room.
I won't even look at your link, because it might remind me of the cat.

Chuckbert said...

"Garfield" is the opposite of "The Family Circus" for me. I read Garfield only on Sunday and I ignore The Family Circus. Garfield is the first strip in the comics page on Sunday and somehow that gets me off to an easy start. It's annoying.

I'll try removing Garfield and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.