Monday, March 31, 2008

Workin' at the karma wash

Today I picked up some valuable karma points but missed a significant sale on out-of-print books.

A requester from Los Alamos National Laboratory wanted two copies of a book on explosives published in 1980; he was pretty vague about the title, didn't know the author, knew that "LASL" was in the title somewhere, and provided nine digits of the 10-digit ISBN. I told him that the book was probably out of print but that I'd be glad to search for a used copy of whatever it was.

So I got online and within a few minutes apparently found what he was looking for. Perry then stuck his head in the office and said the guy called back with the names of the editors. I was looking at the exact title he wanted: it was published in 1980; the names of the editors matched; the title of the book and the title he gave me were in the same alphabet. Woo-HOO! I used Google to find more about the book and found a site where he could download all 400+ pages in .pdf format for free, so I called him and gave him the link.

Then, just for fun, I consulted the websites of some of our third-party out-of-print vendors and found two copies of the book for $250 each, plus our surcharge. I was bummed because we could have made some serious coin on the sale, but I felt okay because the guy might spread the word that we were nice about finding what he needed.

(God, I hate being noble.)

2 comments:

Poss said...

You should call and see if he wanted the actual book or just the words in it.

Jimbo said...

Words just lead to trouble. 'Tis better to be noble.