Friday, January 2, 2009

Nature in art

Today, to ward off cabin fever, Michele and I went to Santa Fe to do some errands. When we had finished buying underwear, niacin, and office supplies (when it comes to having a bag o' thrills, we madcaps have no peers) and having a little lunch, we wondered what to do next. Michele suggested that we walk the labyrinth on Museum Hill. Unfortunately, the snow was still covering the ground and obscured the path. 

So we went instead to the sculpture garden and then to a sculpture of a Mountain Spirit Dancer by Craig Dan Goseyun, a member of the San Carlos Apache tribe. (I took the images with my cell phone.) Here is the sculpture of the dancer. It's about 10 feet high.



Charles Russell, the artist and sculptor, knew that most sculpture was designed to be viewed from only one vantage point, so he created his to be viewed from all angles and vantage points. So I started walking around the piece to see everything, and in the bell on the dancer's left boot, I saw this.


A bird's nest!

1 comment:

Shoe said...

Actually, I bet the bird considered it to be art in nature!

Cool stuff! Thanks!