Thursday, January 1, 2009

Street fund and books

Some time ago, I wrote about my street fund, the money I find on the streets, under counters, and in other places. Here's the tally for 2008:
  • 117 pennies
  • 11 nickels
  • 23 dimes
  • 12 quarters
  • 1 $1 bill
  • 1 $5 bill
The total for 2008 is $13.02. (I also found two Canadian nickels and a Canadian dime. Marion, the ice cream's on me!)

For years now, Izzy and I have made it a goal to read 25 new books a year. The past several years I've averaged in the low forties. Customers at the store say, "Heh, heh, I suppose now you that you own a bookstore, you don't have time to read." I always reply, "I read a lot. Reading is my job." This year I read 89 books. Here's the breakdown. Click on a chart to enlarge it.





The best books I read in 2008 were

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?--Henry Ward Beecher

6 comments:

Marion Agnew said...

Thanks, Pegster!

I'm pretty sure I don't want ice cream from a place that sells it for twenty cents, even when the currency is at par (it's now about 80 cents Canadian to a greenback), because I am apparently an ice cream princess. (Not to be confused with the Emperor of Ice Cream, which is confusing enough itself, even in Wikipedia.)

However, I do sincerely appreciate the thought, and no less do I appreciate the opportunity to procrastinate.

Shoe said...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx

Yay books!

BobbieS53 said...

I'm going to keep track of the books I read this year, too. You have a wider variety than I do, mine will all be in the murder mystery genre!

RetroMag said...

Eighty-nne! That's a bunch! I read (listened to) only 24 this year. My reading came to a screeching halt when I started packing for the move. But it's picked up again The latest one is Jimmy Carter's "Our Endangered Values," which I hope Mr. Obama reads and heeds.

BobbieS53 said...

P.S. can you give me a loan...?

Poss said...

I didn't keep track, but recently finished When We We Orphans by Ishiguro read by John Lee. 10 1/2 hours of a pompous British accent, which fit the character.