Monday, February 9, 2009

Psalteries are pswell

Michele and I drove to ABQ on Friday to take a load of clothes and a futon frame to the Albuquerque Rescue Mission, which ministers to the down-and-outest of the down-and-out. It's one of the charities I support. 

Then we went up to Apple Mountain Music so Michele could salivate over the various instruments. But I was the one doing the salivating. I saw the bowed psalteries and was intrigued. The proprietor played one. Then she handed it to me to play. I held it and bowed across the strings. Cooo-oool! I read the little instruction book. I didn't need to know how to read music to play a tune; I could use tablature, which I use when playing the harmonica or mountain dulcimer. Even cooler! So I bought one; the package included an instructional DVD. Yesterday I played "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" at a tempo and spirit often used to augment grief at funerals.

Here is a picture of a bowed psaltery.

Here is a picture of how the bowed psaltery is held for playing.


Here are two guys playing "Sally Gardens" on the mountain dulcimer and bowed psaltery.

4 comments:

Poss said...

how fun, now maybe you and X2 can play duets.Xian can play a number of tunes on the hammer dulcimer!

Chuckbert said...

Congratulations! We're all waiting for your video of you and Michele playing.

I hope when you visit San Francisco that you go to Lark in the Morning. I drool over a lot of their instruments. I still have a desire to play the Highland bagpipes.

RetroMag said...

Very nice indeed! I, too, eagerly await a concert!

BobbieS53 said...

Very nice. I hope to hear you play soon!