Monday, July 6, 2009

Hail, yes

This afternoon we had the Mother of All Hailstorms on the Hill. I was walking back from lunch and managed to duck into CB Fox before I got clocked. The hail and rain defeated the storm drains, and Central Avenue was a river of hail, water, branches, and leaves.

The hail was the size of golfballs in Western Area and the size of large marbles downtown. Here is the street in front of CB Fox. I took this one with my cellphone.



Here is the hail by Re/Max looking southeast toward Metzger's.

The hail broke the windshield in Michele's truck.

It also broke the windshield of her station wagon and left dents in the roof and hood.

It stripped leaves and branches from trees.

Sophie had some smaller dents, because she was downtown. The driver's-side mirror was broken.

Michele sustained the worst damage. She was trying to save the tomatoes and was struck on the head, knees, and back by the hailstones. Here is the bruise on her back.

5 comments:

Chuckbert said...

Ouch! That's some bruise.

I'm glad I've never gone through such a storm.

RetroMag said...

I was on the way to Poss' house when the storm hit. Maybe you think the racket it made hitting the bus was a soothing sound---- Needless to say, I didn't get off at the bus stop but rode around town until the storm passed and then went to Poss' house. Whitey was O.K. and not even wet. I'm not sure if anything is left in the garden.

I'm sorry about your injuries, Michele. Those hailstones are pretty hard and come down mighty swiftly from their great height! I'm also sorry about the injuries to your cars.

What a storm!

Shoe said...

oh my goodness! What a storm!

I'm sorry for your injuries, Michele! And the damage to your cars and garden.

word verif: bamprasc --the sound made by hail hitting the roof of the car.

Judy said...

Golly! Ice, that doesn't whiz through the air, for Michele's injury. Yikes!

Up on M. Mesa car and window damage not as bad - gardens are pretty much a total loss; but hey, it did smell like Christmas (pine needles everywhere).

BobbieS53 said...

YIKES! YIKES! YIKES! Michele, I'm sorry about your bruises and your cars. I was at Pet Pangea this afternoon and Cindy said she heard someone is trying to get the State to declare Los Alamos a Disaster area so they will waive the deductibles on insurance. My Tahoe had a few dings on the hood and roof, but the hailstones at TA-55 were marbles and a little larger.