Saturday, April 19, 2008

"I wish I'd said that." "You will, P-Doobie. You will."

Ever since 1968, when I graduated from high school, I've kept a commonplace book of quotations, funny and interesting words, and felicitous turns of phrase. It's a little notebook that holds paper 3 1/2 inches by 6 inches that I bought at TG&Y, which I think was still where the Central Avenue Grill is now. It has 2918 entries right now, with quotations ranging from my senior English teacher, Mrs. Campbell, to the novelist Jerome Jerome and the letters to and from Groucho Marx. One of my favorite quotations in it is from the play No Trifling with Love by Alfred de Musset: "Shall I not find a sensible man here? Upon my word, when you look for one, the solitude becomes appalling." It's appropriate for so many situations.

Here's the front of my commonplace book.



Here's the back.



And here's a page spread.




4 comments:

Poss said...

nice job, P. I have given the girls some nice journals and they are actually writing in them. Hope you and they will keep it up

Shoe said...

Do you have any references to the source or the time, p-doobie?

I often wish that I'd kept a book of all the crazy things that clients have said to me over the years. It gets really interesting when there are language disorders!

...and a lack of inhibition....one lady once told me to stop showing me my "big horse teeth" --and I thought I was just smiling?!

P-Doobie said...

Izzy, I don't have any references to the time or the sources. I really regret that I didn't note the sources. For many of the entries I can sort of guesstimate when I recorded them, and many of the sources I recognize or remember. And oddly enough my handwriting has changed a lot over the years, so I can use the backhanded slant and the minuscule size of my printing as a clue to the time I wrote an entry: late sixties and early seventies.

RetroMag said...

Some quite pithy
quotations (and, no, I'm not lisping!)