Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Painted and Petrified P-Doobie

On my way to Kev's graduation in Santa Barbara, I took a morning to visit the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. When I first got to the park, I saw a roadrunner and thought, "This is going to be a great day!" And it was.

Click on the images to enlarge them. Here are some images of the Painted Desert.






This is part of Newspaper Rock, where the indigenous people pecked petroglyphs into the rocks. Enlarge this image to see the detail.


The dry climate took its toll on Sophie.

Here is part of the roadbed of the old Route 66, which also crossed the Mojave Desert. I don't know whether I would have made it as a Dust Bowl refugee. I tend to fuss more than necessary and probably would have been the kind of person the pioneers or Okies would have been tickled pink to turn over as a hostage.

Here are some images from the Petrified Forest.




I thought it was so cool that the cactus took root in the petrified log.

Lots of little critters on this plant.



It would have been great to have Izzy the Geologist along for the ride.

2 comments:

Shoe said...

Gorgeous pix! Thanks for sharing. I loved the Petrified Forest when we went through in 2004. I'm glad you were able to stop and enjoy it.

Nature is cool!

RetroMag said...

There are some truly magnificent wonders on this old earth! Thanks for sharing them. We, too, enjoyed our visit to the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest Parks on our trip to CA this spring. Some day I hope to see the meteor crater. Mother Nature can be pretty devastating sometimes.

Poor Sophie! I'm glad she was nevertheless able to limp home.