Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Paper wasps

Today our handyguy, Mark, removed our crappy garage door and took it to the dump. We hadn't lowered it in years, and when I looked at the ceiling of the carport, I saw that paper wasps had made nests in the protected space between the ceiling and the garage door. They don't bother me, because they mind their own business and nosh on flies. They won't survive the winter, and the nests aren't reused. If you're not creeped out, click on the images to enlarge them.

This nest looks like an inverted umbrella.


This is the biggest nest.


This is a starter home.

4 comments:

Shoe said...

Cool critters. Nice that you are able to leave 'em be.

RetroMag said...

I admire their architectural style.

Colleen said...

All that is honeycombed does not have honey. That's the moral of these pictures.

BobbieS53 said...

I'm glad they dind't bite you, esa!