Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Editing prodigy or pretentious pedant? You decide!

Monday I got new reading glasses (pictures to follow in a later post). They are really swell, with flexible frames, protective and anti-reflective coating, and transition lenses so I can read outside. They also have rubberized temples for a finer, lighter chew.

My new glasses triggered a memory from childhood, and one thing led to another.

When I was in elementary school, I got books from the Scholastic Book Club, and one of the offerings was a book of clever things to write in people's autograph books (of the "Yours till Niagara Falls" ilk). I didn't get the book, but some of my classmates did. I remember reading what one of them wrote in another's autograph book:

When you are old
And cannot see,
Put on your specks
And think of me.

I said to the writer, "You misspelled the word. 'Specks' are little marks or dots. You mean s-p-e-c-s, which is short for spectacles."

As early as second grade I was at it. In shop class, one of the girls had done a fine job of sanding her wood project and invited her buddies to feel it. "It's so soft!" she said. I said, "It's not 'soft.' It's smooth." (Or as Dad would have said, "It's not just smooth. It's smewwwwth!")

Our neighbor John H. had a rabbit that he decided to call "Fluffily." I told him that the rabbit could be named "Fluff" or "Fluffy," but "Fluffily" was not right the word. I had understood, almost instinctively at a tender age, the difference between adjectives and adverbs.

Had I known then that I could get paid for correcting people's grammar and spelling, I probably would have started being obnoxious even earlier in life.


Fluffily the Chihuahua sez, "I'm going to kill them for not letting me get contacts."

4 comments:

Chuckbert said...

There was an episode of "Sherman's Lagoon" where Sherman and Megan (I think) took a trip to "Niagra Falls." I wrote to Mr. Toomey to ask if that is anywhere near Niagara Falls. He replied "Oops!"

Speaking of Pagrs and typos in comics, there was a time Pagrs was visiting us and "Cathy" (may she fry in hell!) used the word "miniuscule." Pagrs asked me if I saw anything wrong with the strip and I shrugged. I had been in the "miniscule" camp so perhaps I had thought "Oh, that's how it's spelled." I learned that day how to spell a word and learned that before there were drawers in typesetters' cases that the letters were majuscule and minuscule. Thanks, Proofreader Peggy!

Your classmate's inscription worked. I'm sure you'd never have given that person any thoughts had it not been for that.

P-Doobie said...

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Thanks for the catch, Chuckbert. I corrected the spelling.

Colleen said...

That poor dog has some faded letters on its face: cod...?

RetroMag said...

I think you were a child prodigy in your field, right up there with Mozart and all the others.